Wednesday 19 February 2014

Strength in a woman


Instagram is one of my favourite activities, post, sharing and also discovering new yogis and their passions and techniques. A few of my favourite teachers from across the pond have accounts that I hold dear on my daily feed. One of them is the magical Katherine Budig. She- the ever insightful, funny, intelligent and most importantly STRONG.
I was watching one of her blog posts about handstand techniques with a yogi friend of mine and I commented on her brilliant shape. I am so used to seeing pictures of very fit, but very thin women stretching and bending into shapes that seem impossible for a woman with hips or ass.
But old Budig has it all and it's a wonderful thing. My friend pointed out that to be that strong you need that muscle. It's obvious I know, but it's the beauty of yoga asana, it promotes strength. Which for women in so many fields is found upon.
I believe to be a balanced woman is to be a strong woman. The times that I have felt most at sea, with no anchor is when my physical strength was at its lowest. I couldn't physically support myself so how the hell was I supposed to guide other people or be a better human on this planet.
And that is where yoga asana helps you then to climb a little higher up the limbs of Yoga towards samadhi, towards higher consciousness.

For further reading on women and yoga check out this link below...

http://feministing.com/2014/02/18/the-academic-feminist-melanie-klein-on-yoga-and-feminism/

OM.

No comments:

Post a Comment